The final numbers are in, and they’re impressive: Over four million fans attended spring training games in 2015, with the Chicago Cubs and San Francisco Giants leading the way.
We’ve listed spring training attendance in three different ways at our sister site, Ballpark Digest:
Spring Training Attendance by Average
Spring Training Attendance by League
Spring Training Attendance by Total
Some things to note:
- These numbers come from MLB and are based on teams, not venue. That means the games played at Dodger Stadium count for the Los Angeles Dodgers, the games played at Olympic Stadium count for the Toronto Blue Jays, etc. Later on Arizona and Florida officials will come out with numbers based solely on games played in their respective states.
- It’s no secret attendance and interest in New York Yankees spring training was down in 2015: the year-to-year average comparison shows a dip.
- The Oakland Athletics obviously benefited from a move to a renovated Hohokam Stadium, with a solid attendance boost.
- The Kansas City Royals saw a boost based on a memorable 2014 World Series run,
- With a great offseason and a Peoria Stadium renovation, the San Diego Padres saw their Cactus League numbers rise, as did the Seattle Mariners.
Comments are closed.