The Pirates are scheduled to play a total of 32 games next spring, including 16 at LECOM Park in Bradenton, Florida. Next year will mark the 55th season in which the Pirates have held spring training in Bradenton. The 2023 season is also the 100th year of baseball being played in Bradenton, as the St. Louis Cardinals began play there in 1923.
Opening Day of the Pirates Grapefruit League season will be on Saturday, February 25, as the team hosts the Toronto Blue Jays. Three of Pittsburgh’s first four games next spring will take place at LECOM Park. The team’s only road game during the first four contests will take place on February 26 at Port Charlotte against the Tampa Bay Rays.
Additional highlights of the 2023 spring training schedule include:
- March 2: The Pirates will host the New York Yankees for the first of two times as part of a split squad
that will also have the Bucs traveling to Dunedin to face the Blue Jays.
- March 17: The Pirates will host the Rays on St. Patrick’s Day.
- March 23: The Pirates will host the Red Sox for the only time during the 2023 Grapefruit League campaign.
- March 25: The Pirates open the final weekend of the Grapefruit League season against the Baltimore Orioles.
- March 28: The 2023 spring training campaign will conclude with a home game against the Twins.